(Source: ICA News, Issue No.2/1998, pp.1)
ICA Board meets in Japan
Decisions made by the ICA Board during its April meeting in Japan included the following:
* To establish a legislative working group, headed by Dr. Ivan Prikryl of the Czech Republic, which will begin work on developing a legislative data base and will propose follow-up action to the next meeting of the Board;
* To authorise management to follow-up with members interested in participating in a new working group on "Green Issues and Ethics", and to hold a preliminary meeting in Paris in October;
* To strongly encourage members to send more women to this year's Regional Assemblies and to next year's Congress/General Assembly;
* To organise a Youth Forum, and essay contest, in conjunction with next year's Congress/General Assembly in Quebec City;
* To co-opt Madame B. Padanou, member of the Board of the National Federation of Savings and Credit Co-operatives of Benin, to the ICA Board;
* To recommend to the 1999 General Assembly that the General Assembly in the Year 2001 be held in Korea;
* To approve a new ICA Development Policy which will serve as the basis for discussions with development partners and for implementation of regional strategies;
* To approve membership applications from USIMEC Colombia, Mongolian Association of Private Herders' Co-operatives, and Myanmar Union of Co-operative Syndicates; and to note with regret the decision of Co-op Switzerland to terminate its membership at the end of 1998;
* To approve the 1997 financial statements, which show a small end- of-year surplus, as well as the 1998 budget and 1999 indicative budget.
The next Board meeting will be held in Paris on 17 October, at which time the Board will focus on the current economic challenges facing co-ops in all regions and on policy changes which the ICA might introduce in its structures and activities as a result.
On 18 October the Board will meet with leaders of the ICA Specialised Bodies in order to continue this discussion about future trends and necessary changes.