International Consumer Co-operative Organisation (ICCO)
The International Consumer Co-operative Organisation (ICCO) is a specialized organisation of the International Co-operative Alliance founded in 1969. It has 22 members in 21 countries. This specialised body, which was set up by ICA consumer co-operatives, aims to:
* Initiate discussions on the crucial problems of co-operative consumer policy;
* Communicate information both to ICA members and to organisations outside the co-operative movement;
* Give advice on consumer matters to new consumer co-operatives;
* Co-operate with other ICA specialised bodies;
* Represent co-operative consumer interests to other international co-operative or non co-operative organisations, and collaborate with governmental and non-governmental agencies for consumer affairs. * Publish information on matters of interest to consumers, such as consumer protection, through the press and other media.
The Consumer Organisation holds joint meetings with other ICA specialised bodies. A regional committee with similar targets has been set up in Asia in order to promote consumer co-operative development in this region.
The basic philosophy of the ICCO was determined in 1969 at the ICA Congress and stipulates that the consumer has a right to a reasonable standard of nutrition, clothing and housing; adequate standards of safety and a healthy environment; unadulterated merchandise at fair prices with reasonable variety and choice; access to information on goods and to education on consumer topics; and that the consumer should have an influence in the economy through democratic participation.
In recent years, the ICCO has drawn up updated Consumer Co-perative Principles and the Agenda 21 of the consumer sector. Furthermore, it is launching a co-operative development project in Latin America and has scheduled an international seminar on consumer protection.
ICA is an independent, non-governmental association which unites, represents and serves co-operatives worldwide. Founded in 1895, it now has 232 national members in 93 countries, plus four international members.
Chairman: Mr. Giuseppe Fabretti
Associazione Nazionale Cooperative di Consumatori
Via Panaro 14
Tel: (39-6) 861 01 71
Fax: (39-6) 863 200 33
Secretary: Ms. Antonella Belfiori
Same address as that for Chairman